Sisters of the Quantock Hills: Frances' Story

 

 

When I read these books when I was a teenager, I remember finding Frances' Story slow moving and a bit boring after Sarah's Story, but that is not the case at all on my re-read as an adult. I enjoyed this book as much (if not a bit more than) the first book. We already know the broad strokes about what happened to the Purcells (and the Mackenzies) from 1910-1920, but we see the years again through Frances' eyes and some of the events and details Sarah could not have known are sketched out.

I enjoyed seeing Frances as she saw herself, not just as the stern (occasionally unfeeling) older sister that Sarah saw her as. I understood Frances as an adult in a way I didn't when I was young. I found her refusal to marry perfectly valid, and in fact got a little annoyed that Gabriel kept asking, as it felt like he was infantilizing her in his refusal to accept that she knew her own mind. I also liked that she allowed herself to grow and change her mind towards the end of the book. Her realization that there was a world outside of Hillcrest and her art, and the growth she went through in the last few chapters when she went to Ireland was so well done and realistic.

So far on my re-read these books have held up amazingly well, the writing and the stories even better than I remembered.


The British title of this book is The Beckoning Hills, which is much more romantic and less utilitarian than the Frances' Story we get in America.

 

***
 

And now, for nostalgia's sake, and because you have to be able to laugh at yourself, here is the review I wrote for this book when I was 15 years old and posted on Amazon:

5 Stars                 A Wonderful Historic Read                           December 16, 2002

 

The Quantock Quartet are some of the best books I have read, historical fiction or otherwise. This novel is the only one I felt rated below a five because parts of it just dragged. Frances was the only sister I couldn't feel some sort of connection with. She came across so obstinate in parts you just wanted to set down the book and seethe at her actions. The series, however, wouldn't be the same without this installment, and all in all, it was good. "Sarah's Story" basically told you what was happening to the Purcells, and gave Sarah's perspective on the romance between her oldest sister and Gabriel. In "Frances' Story", we learn what really went on, the things Sarah had no way of knowing about. We also learn that maybe Frances *didn't* have it together all the time, despite her actions. This story covers a bit after "Sarah's Story" ended...you won't expect the twist at the end. If you like historical fiction (with a bit of romance) I highly recommend the Quantock Quartet. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Love L.M Montgomery Week - The LMM Tag

Sisters of the Quantock Hills: Gwen’s Story